Monday, June 19, 2006

Eurotrip 2006

I do realize that this is a bit late coming as I’ve been back for about two weeks now. However, there have been a lot of things happening both at work and personally. I will have an update on some of it a bit later on.

For now, I just want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Europe. Chris and I spent three days in London, three days in Paris and another three days in London. Then Chris went home and I was off to Florence with my good friend Hilda. Thanks to Hilda for putting us up while we were in London.

Here are my highlights.

London
  • Shopping! I got red ruffled shoes, Jack Purcells, two bags, cufflinks, travel stuff from Muji. I love me some London shopping.
  • The best curry outside of India. We had amazing Indian food on Brick Lane.
  • Chez Bruce. This place cost us an arm and leg, but it was soooo worth it. The best duck I’ve ever had in my life and a cheese plate to die for.
  • Eric Clapton at Royal Albert Hall. I’m not a huge fan, but to see him play at this venue was awesome.
  • Tate Modern. I saw a lot of museums on this trip. This was my favourite by far. Great collection.
  • The Thames. Low due to drought, but still powerful.
  • Avenue Q. If you’re ever in New York or London, I highly recommend this show. Puppets giving each other oral sex!
  • Fish and chips. I love love love fish and chips at the Rock and Sole Plaice. Chris and I had it as often as we could. Sadly this was only twice.
  • Borough Market. I made Hilda and Chris go here almost every day. It’s like St. Lawrence Market on steroids. I cannot get enough of this place. I had the best bacon ever at this place. I still dream of that bacon…
Paris
  • The Marais. This was the only area in Paris that wasn’t torn down and re-built by Napoleon. My absolute favourite part of Paris. We stayed at a cute little hotel here.
  • Café culture. We’d have a cappuccino in the morning. Walk around a bit. Stop by for a glass of wine or a beer. Walk some more. More wine and beer. I love cafés.
  • Steak frites. Chris and I had this every night we were there.
  • Boulangeries, fromageries and bouchers. I wish grocery shopping were like this in Toronto.
  • Charcuterie. Pork done 15 different ways. Does it get any better?
  • Bordeaux wines. Chris and I spent 40 Euros on two bottles to bring back. A 1999 Bordeaux for under 20 Euros! What a steal!
  • L’As du Falafel. The best falafel I’ve ever had. The eggplant was like butter.
  • Chez Denise. Good traditional, rustic French cooking. Foie gras and steak frites. This place kicked ass.
  • The Seine. The most romantic river ever.
  • Louis Vuitton on the Champs Elysées. We had champagne while we waited for our purchase (his and hers wallets). Bling bling.
  • Seeing Winged Victory at the Louvre.
  • The view of Paris from Restaurant Georges, at the top of the Centre Pompidou.
  • Losing Chris at the Gare du Nord. Poor guy. I had his passport and his ticket, plus he couldn't speak a word of French. Boy was he sweating bullets. Not so funny at the time, but fricking hilarious now!
Florence
  • Even more shopping! We went to the outlets and cleaned up. Prada shoes, a Balenciaga bag and a Gucci bag for my sister. Add to that two more pairs of shoes, white gold pavé star earrings, two bottles of wine (including a 30 Euro Chianti) and two sets of La Perla lingerie for 240 Euro (the most I have ever spent on lingerie, but I have a boyfriend now.)
  • Bistecca alla Fiorentina. Almost a kilo of steak, cooked rare, drenched in extra virgin olive oil. We had this with white bean salad, asparagus and a kick-ass bottle of Chianti.
  • Fresh pasta. I am not normally a fan, but I ate it every day and effing loved it.
  • Mercato Centrale. We ate here almost every day. Parma ham, authentic Florentine trippa burger (tripe burger), stews, pasta and gypsies — this place had it all.
  • Botticelli’s Birth of Venus. I could not stop staring at this painting. It was breathtaking.
  • Gelato. Pistachio gelato that actually tasted like pistachio. We had this every single day for a week.
  • Buca Mario. So good, we had to eat here twice.
  • Wild boar. I had this with pappardelle in a sauce the first time, then again as an entrée served with the best polenta.
  • Chianti. We had a bottle every single night we were there. It doesn’t get any better.
  • Piazzas. Why doesn’t Toronto have a piazza? Florence had dozens!
  • The Arno. Simply gorgeous.
  • Pontevecchio. The best jewellery you’ll ever find. True Florentine craftsmanship and tons of vintage art deco pieces (my favourite).
  • Salvatore Ferragamo museum. This man was a genius.
  • Boboli Gardens. The Medicis knew how to do excess well. This garden is huge and amazing.
  • Basilica of Santa Croce. The tombs of Michelangelo and Marconi!
Overall a fantastic trip. After being away with no Internet access for a total of 17 days, I am much more relaxed. Check out my photos on Flickr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm exhausted and very hungry after hearing all of that. Sounds like you had a fantastic time and I'm glad you're back. More details please!!!!

karem