Monday, March 13, 2006

The Da Vinci Code

I soooooo did not want to read this book, let alone like it.

A few years ago my friend Hilda bought me a copy of the Da Vinci Code at a book sale. I am not at all a big fan of fiction and rarely read it. Also, I had heard a lot of hype surrounding this book and like the cultural snob that I am, immediately just put it in my “read it if I am trapped in my house and all other books, magazines or anything else with writing on it has been destroyed” pile.

Meanwhile, everyone else I knew could not stop asking me to borrow the damn thing. I think I leant it out to about three people. Each of them had the same reaction. No one could put this book down once they got their hands on it. This went on for about a year after I received the book.

Still. I didn’t want to buy into the hype. So each time I got the book back, I just left it on my bookshelf unread for another year.

Then the film talk began. Again, people were abuzz. Great debates began springing up arguing whether or not Tom Hanks was the right person for the lead role of Robert Langdon. Everyone seemed to agree on the casting of Audrey Tatou for the role of Sophie Neveu.

Still. I held out and the book remained unread by me for a few more months.

Until this weekend. My good friend Erica came for a visit this weekend and at about midnight on Friday, she demanded that I read the first five pages of the book.

As it turns out, I couldn’t put this book down and ended up reading it until 5:00AM and basically finished the book in roughly six hours.

The Da Vinci Code is just a good old fashioned thriller with some of the most intricate, yet uncontrived plot twists I’ve ever encountered in a book.

I cannot wait until the movie comes out!

2 comments:

a. said...

dude...the same thing happened to me...the book is like crack, bad dirty crack and you feel dirty when you're reading it and dirty when you're done but you cannot stop.

but now that you've read The DaVinci Code you really don't need to read Angels and Demons as they are essentially the exact same book.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Anonymous said...

Culture snob TRAITOR!!!!!