Saturday, March 04, 2006

I like my bangs extra crispy

Today I saw a woman with crispy bangs and it brought back some memories. For those of you who don’t know what that is, refer to the above photograph.

Now I am not above the crispy bang as during the mid-80’s I did my best to achieve the perfect crispy bang, to no avail. I never had the right cut, nor the right weight to my hair for it.

Here is how one achieves the crispy bang:

  1. You start with a haircut that is not unlike a mullet. The only real difference is that the business starts further up, so that your bangs feather around your face like a sweet sweet baby chick (with a mullet).
  2. Spray the bejeezus out of said feathered bangs. Aqua Net was a late 80s favourite.
  3. Using a curling iron you curl your front bangs under, so that they are nice and rounded and the tips of the bangs curl to touch your forehead.
  4. You fluff the surrounding area around the curled bangs.

Like I said earlier, my attempts at this look were never successful. None less successful then the time I did my hair just before my friend Paula’s 11th birthday.

I had gotten myself all dolled up and really gave’r with the Acqua Net for Paula’s party. Sadly, while I was a fan of the crispy bang, I was also a fan of playing with open flames.

This particular day, just before leaving for Paula’s party, I was seeing how long I could hang on to a lit toothpick before it burned my fingertips. While I was focusing on not burning my finger with a burning toothpick, my pathetic crispy bangs went up in flames like Scarlett’s plantation in Gone with the Wind.

Le sigh.

Leave it to the hicks to make me feel all nostalgic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol