Wednesday, May 25, 2005

What the ef happened to Kirk Cameron?

I wasn’t much of a Kirk Cameron fan growing up, but I do recall that he was the shit. Trading Kirk posters for Jon Bon Jovi ones was not hard to do. (That lion’s mane. That gorilla chest. How could a girl of twelve resist?)

At one point and time, Kirk Cameron was Mike Seaver. He was your quintessential middle-class, miscreant teen with a best friend named Boner. With Alan Thicke as his dad, Kirk could not get any cooler. During the mid to late 1980s, he was every pre-pubescent girl’s (and some boys) wet dream.


So here is how my question. What the ef happened to Kirk Cameron?

Some things to consider when pondering this question:

The movie Left Behind. In this film, Kirk plays the protagonist in a movie about the rapture. The RAPTURE. It is not done in an ironic, satirical or humourous way. It is an actual serious movie about the RAPTURE.



The Way of the Master Web site. There is no way I can begin to describe this Web site. You need to click on it to believe it. It basically tells you that you and all your loved ones are destined for an eternity in hell if you don’t accept Jesus as your saviour.

Turns out Mike Seaver is a crazy evangelical Christian.


Did anyone else see this coming? To quote Fred Willard…wha happen? Can anyone please tell me how the once lovable Mike Seaver turned into Jimmy Swaggart?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best Kirk Cameron movie ever is the Freaky Friday ripoff "Like Father, Like Son" with Kirk and Dudley Moore (or Duds as I like to call him). Its lame but there's an awesome part where Duds does a triple-take.

Anonymous said...

I used to watch Growing Pains and he was such a talented actor, really great energy and presence. I guess midway through the show, he turned to religion and I suppose it became his life. I don't understand what happened either. He was so incredibly lovable. I don't mind people who practice religion actively, but this just seemed so out of nowhere...not to mention that it's evangelical & the website sounds creepy. I can't bring myself to view it. (Yes, I know I'm about 7 years too late) haha :)